Nothing can derail your healthy routine like back to back work trips, or even a long vacation.
When we are uprooted from our day to day routine and find ourselves in a different location with unfamiliar food options, we tend to give ourselves a hall pass, throw our hands up and say, "Well I have to eat out so I might as well just have the burger, fries and dessert..and since I’ve already had that, why not an extra glass of wine too!"
This can set us on a course for completely wiping out the hard work we’ve put in when we’re at home and make it more difficult to jump back into our healthy routines.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t indulge now and then, especially when you’re celebrating with friends or family.
But if you consistently have to eat out for work or travel, then you might want to think about how to approach your food choices.
1.If you are staying in a hotel and eating out at restaurants, try to stick to foods that are grilled, broiled or sautéed. Try to avoid fried and over sauced foods.
2. Don’t be afraid to modify what you want in a restaurant. If you are polite and friendly about it, they will usually go out of their way to accommodate you.
3. Substitute starchy sides for extra vegetables
4. If you are going to drink alcohol, try to limit yourself to one drink, or alternate between a drink and sparkling water with a lemon or lime.
5. Use your phone to find the nearest Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. You can always find a healthy ‘to go’ meal in their prepared food sections
6. Pack healthy snacks to take with you, or purchase once you’re at your location. Nuts, seeds, apples, and water can all fit in a briefcase or large purse.
Remember, you don’t need to feel out of control when you’re frequently eating out or on the road. Just try to make the best choices given the options you have and get right back to your routine once you’re home!